Advertisement

You Probably Don't Clean This One Thing All That Often - And That's Okay! - Cleaning Tips from The Kitchn

You Probably Don't Clean This One Thing All That Often - And That's Okay! - Cleaning Tips from The Kitchn
From The Kitchn - September 13, 2017

I am a person who likes to stay hydrated. I typically keep a big water bottle at my desk, a little one in my purse, and another big one in the car. If I see a water fountain (I know, I know: germs), I take advantage and fill up whatever vessel I happen to have with me. Because heaven forbid I do not have access to water for five minutes.

And now that you know I am willing to drink out of a public water fountain, I will admit somethingelse: I almost never clean those water bottles. I will let that desk water bottle sit there for weeks before I notice the formerly clear glass is looking sort ofopaque, and then I will get out my favorite bottle brush and be shocked and disgusted at how much cleaner it looks when I am done.

In an effort to find out whether I am poisoning myself, I reached out to Dr. Chuck Gerba, a professor of microbiology at University of Arizona. Turns out it's not so bad!

"Water bottles get a lot of bacteria in them if you keep reusing them, but it's your own bacteria, and you ca not reinfect yourself," says Gerba. The only water bottles that run a higher risk of being contaminated with outside bacteria (like E. coli) are the sports ones where you are popping the spout open with your fingersthen your hands can introduce new bacteria.

Advertisement

Continue reading at The Kitchn »